This does still mean it's a bug in mutter/gnome-shell somewhere, but
probably not one we can realistically reproduce and fix any time soon.
Hopefully the bug stays away with a fresh monitors.xml, or with none at
all.

  Full screen window becomes "small" in the upper left of the screen...

  This happens with a number of different programs, so I suspect it is a
  window manager bug.  The best way to describe it is with a screen
  shot.  The only responsive part of the screen is the small window in
  the upper left.  You can hit the little maximize box and it goes back
  to full screen okay, but after a while it comes back to this.  It can
  be annoying, because sometimes you can't quickly see what happened to
  the title bar.  I'm using Ubuntu 19.10.  This has been happening for
  about a week.