For me, the following worked:

In Evolution, go to: Edit > Plugins  and choose the plugin called something
like "Notification of new mail" (my version is in another language), and open
the tab "Configuration" on the right. The FIRST line, I UNmarked (called
something like "Play only sound when mails arrive in the INBOX".
The next fielt I marked "Play sound everytime mails arrives".

Below that, You can choose "Beep" (standard), and that don't work, so I
choose "Play from file" and found a file that I like, and everything now
works fine.

BTW: Happy NewYear 2012 :-)

Packages, which is subscribed to evolution in Ubuntu.

  Evolution Mail Notification has no sound

Status in The Evolution Mail & Calendaring Tool:
  Expired
Status in “evolution” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: evolution

  Evolution Mail 2.24.1 that comes installed on Ubunut 8.10 Intrepid
  Ibex will not play a sound from Mail Notification plugin (no matter
  what kind of audio file e.g. .ogg, .mp3, .wav., ect...).

  Output of gconftool-2 -g /apps/evolution/mail/notify/sound:
  /usr/share/sounds/ekiga/voicemail.wav

  "/usr/share/sounds/ekiga/voicemail.wav" isn't even what file I have selected
in Edit | Plugins | Mail Notification | Configuration.
  Even within this menu after select your sound, you cannot preview it.

  I've noticed this bug also exists in Gutsy and Hardy as well.  This
  feature did work within Feisty.