** Summary changed:

- Batch libreoffice --convert-to offers no way to wait for document completion
+ [upstream] Batch libreoffice --convert-to offers no way to wait for document
completion

  [upstream] Batch libreoffice --convert-to offers no way to wait for
  document completion

Status in LibreOffice:
  New
Status in libreoffice package in Ubuntu:

  Command-line: libreoffice --convert-to odt:writer8 myfile.txt

  The returned status code ($?) is zero.  So far, so good.  But, when I
  try to access the ODT file (E.g. copy it), it doesn't yet exist.

  Adding `sync; sync; sync` right after the libreoffice batch execution did not
help.
  Adding --headless as an option did not help.

  If I sleep for a few seconds immediately after the libreoffice batch
  execution, then the file finally gets completed before a subsequent
  command references the ODT file.

  Sample script:

  ### Create somehow a file called myfile.txt
  rm myfile.odt somewhere-else.odt
  libreoffice --headless --convert-to odt:writer8 myfile.txt
  RC=$?
  if [ $RC -ne 0 ]; then
        echo '*** libreoffice conversion failed for myfile.txt'
        exit 86
  fi
  #sleep 3
  ls *.odt

  Result: ls: cannot access '*.odt': No such file or directory

  If one changes the above script so that the sleep is executed, then
  the ODT file is available.

  Observation: It appears that executing libreoffice in batch mode is
  somehow kicking off a separate process to finish the ODT file.  The
  exit to the shell and the availability of the ODT file should be
  synchronized.

  Before 18.04, I never saw this behavior.

  Package: libreoffice 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.2
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: XFCE