I think the missing version in the original report was because I ran
ubuntu-bug libreoffice instead of ubuntu-bug libreoffice-calc

  libreoffice fails to create locks on AFS directories

Status in libreoffice package in Ubuntu:

  When I try to open a libreoffice document on a AFS directory that I
  have full write permissions to and that is not over quota, I always
  get this pop-up:

  Document Could Not Be Locked

  The lock file could not be created for exclusive access by
  LibreOffice, due to missing permission to create a lock file on that
  file location or lack of free disk space.

  The lock file is created, but it has the size 0:
  % ls -tla|head -n 5
  insgesamt 32396
  drwxr-xr-x 175 waschk sysprog    96256 Feb  5 15:11 .
  -rw-r--r--   1 waschk dv             0 Feb  5 15:11 .~lock.test.ods#
  -rw-------   1 waschk dv          1024 Feb  5 15:02 .rnd
  -rw-r--r--   1 waschk dv         33440 Feb  5 13:24 test.ods

  Package: libreoffice (not installed)
  NonfreeKernelModules: openafs
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.9
  Architecture: amd64