Hi Jonathan,

you seem to be having several different issues here, so I'll try to
address them individually.

First the slow updates, you wrote: "screen updates to the DisplayLink
monitor are Extremely Slow. Like I am typing in a terminal window and it
sometimes takes a second or two between when I type something and when
the results of the typing show up in the terminal. If I move the same
terminal window onto the built-in laptop display the lag goes away."

Slow updates could be one of two things: either the copying of content
to DisplayLink itself is slow, or DisplayLink is showing outdated
content. To understand which one it is, you could try running 'glxgears'
(or any program that animates continuously and reports fps) on the
DisplayLink output and then see if the same slowness with a terminal
still happens.

If the issue is outdated content, then 'glxgears' by forcing repeated
output updates should have the side-effect of making the slowness go
away. Also glxgears should report the expected monitor refresh rate as
fps (for a 60 Hz monitor I'd expect 58 - 60 fps). Your overall system
CPU consumption could be somewhat high, but I would not expect any CPU
core to be maxed out.

If the issue is bad performance in copying the content, then running
glxgears should not make the slowness disappear. Instead, glxgears
should report very low fps, and your system CPU usage may or may not be
high. It would be interesting to know if you have any CPU cores maxed
out busy.

In any case, I think we should talk about the slowness in a new bug
report. Please, point me to it, if you file one.

Packages, which is subscribed to mutter in Ubuntu.

  display (whole computer?) hangs when I attempt to use DisplayLink with
  Wayland

Status in Mutter:
  New
Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in mutter source package in Eoan:
  Confirmed
Status in mutter source package in Focal:

  [ Impact ]

  I am using the DisplayLink driver for Ubuntu provided at
  https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/ubuntu

  DisplayLink is working under Xorg, but when I try to use it under
  Wayland my whole display hangs and I can't even switch to a different
  VT with Ctrl-Alt-F3 so I think maybe the whole computer is hung? Not
  certain.

  [ Test case ]

  - Install DisplayLink drivers
  - Start GNOME Shell in wayland mode
  - Connect to a display-link dock
  - Expect the shell to work properly and be visible in the external device

  [ Regression potential ]

  Wayland session won't work even for standard drm devices

  ----

  I am using the DisplayLink driver for Ubuntu provided at
  https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/ubuntu, which I think is the
  only way to get DisplayLink fully working under Ubuntu? That is,
  DisplayLink didn't work when I installed the evdi-dkms and libevdi0
  Ubuntu packages, and I couldn't find any other packages that might be
  relevant (did I miss something?) so as far as I can tell the only way
  to get everything that's needed is from displaylink.com.

  I'm reporting this issue while logged in under Xorg because I can't
  report it when logged in with my DisplayLink monitors plugged in under
  Wayland, for obvious reasons. :-/

  ProblemType: BugDistroRelease: Ubuntu 19.10
  Package: mutter 3.34.1-1ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu8.2
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Wed Nov 20 14:08:21 2019
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 19.04 "Disco Dingo" - Release amd64
(20190416)SourcePackage: mutter
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to eoan on 2019-09-20 (61 days ago)
  modified.conffile..etc.apport.crashdb.conf: [modified]
  mtime.conffile..etc.apport.crashdb.conf: 2019-10-23T16:51:18.143596