Hi Daniel, thank you for the quick response and prior work.

I think the upstream check for the nvidia driver in 61-gdm.rules is too
broad to be useful as the nvidia driver might be loaded for other
reasons (e.g. CUDA usage or hw accelerated video encoding/decoding while
nvidia-drm.ko is blacklisted) so I believe I can come up with an issue
upstream.

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-prime in Ubuntu.

  [focal] Wayland session is not available when a laptop has an Nvidia
  card an Intel card is in use

Status in gdm3 package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in nvidia-prime package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  A Wayland session present at /usr/share/wayland-sessions/ubuntu-
  wayland.desktop is not displayed at the login screen when a system has
  an iGPU (Intel) and dGPU (Nvidia) and Intel iGPU is used:

  prime-select query
  intel

  Only sessions at /usr/share/xsessions are present.

  ➜  ~ ls /usr/share/xsessions
  remmina-gnome.desktop  ubuntu.desktop

  ➜  ~ ls /usr/share/wayland-sessions
  ubuntu-wayland.desktop

  The root cause is the existence of a udev rule in 61-gdm.rules that runs
gdm-disable-wayland when an nvidia driver is loaded in combination with LP:
#1848326 (see this comment specifically
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-prime/+bug/1848326/comments/7).

  dpkg -S /lib/udev/rules.d/61-gdm.rules
  gdm3: /lib/udev/rules.d/61-gdm.rules

  grep nvidia /lib/udev/rules.d/61-gdm.rules
  # disable Wayland when using the proprietary nvidia driver
  DRIVER=="nvidia", RUN+="/usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-disable-wayland"

  When I comment it out and reboot, I get the right menu entry and am
  able to observe the right session type:

  ➜  ~ grep nvidia /lib/udev/rules.d/61-gdm.rules
  # disable Wayland when using the proprietary nvidia driver
  #DRIVER=="nvidia", RUN+="/usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-disable-wayland"

  ➜  ~ loginctl
  SESSION  UID USER SEAT  TTY
        2 1000 dima seat0 tty2

  1 sessions listed.

  ➜  ~ loginctl show-session 2 -p Type
  Type=wayland

  System info:

  lsb_release -a
  No LSB modules are available.
  Distributor ID:       Ubuntu
  Release:      20.04
  Codename:     focal

  ➜  ~ dpkg -l | grep gdm3
  ii  gdm3                                          3.34.1-1ubuntu1
           amd64        GNOME Display Manager

  ➜  ~ dpkg -l | grep nvidia-prime
  ii  nvidia-prime                                  0.8.13
           all          Tools to enable NVIDIA's Prime

  ➜  ~ dpkg -l | grep nvidia-driver
  ii  nvidia-driver-440                             440.59-0ubuntu1
           amd64        NVIDIA driver metapackage