the same with Ubuntu v. 16.04 ->
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gedit/+bug/1862924

Packages, which is subscribed to gedit in Ubuntu.

  Gedit hangs while searching in large file

Status in gedit:
  Confirmed
Status in gedit package in Ubuntu:

  When I did a search in Gedit with a large text file (about 101 KB), the
editor hangs and used high CPU load.
  When I shut down the application, a dialog box appears: The Window
"history.log (/var/log/apt) - gedit" is not respondig. This dialog box is
attached.

  Package: gedit 3.10.2-0ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  CurrentDesktop: Unity