I think this is because the accounts window is a modal one, and as such
the window manager mandates that it must always remain centered in its
parent window. Consequently, moving the accounts window around means
that the parent window must move too, and for it to move it has to be
unmaximized.

Whether or not this is good from a user perspective is questionable, but
it seems to be the intended behaviour, so not a bug.

** Changed in: thunderbird (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  moving the "Account Settings" window makes the main window shrink and
  move along in the background

Status in thunderbird package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I start my thunderbird and maximize the main window. Then I open
  "Account Settings". This shows the new settings window that is smaller
  than the main window (see screenshot "before.png"). This is fine just
  like that. But when I start moving the settings window around (by
  clicking the top window bar), the main window is being resized to a
  very small size, such that it is not visible behind the settings
  window. Moreover, it seems to move along with the settings window.
  When I close the settings, I can see the very small main window (see
  screenshot "after.png").

  I actually don't think this is a thunderbird problem, it is probably
  something more general. I remember having a similar issue with the
  LibreOffice options in Ubuntu 18.04.

  Package: thunderbird 1:68.4.2+build2-0ubuntu1
  BuildID: 20200123140255
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Tue Feb  4 00:33:14 2020
  DefaultProfileExtensions: extensions.sqlite corrupt or missing
  DefaultProfileIncompatibleExtensions: Unavailable (corrupt or non-existant
compatibility.ini or extensions.sqlite)
  DefaultProfileLocales: extensions.sqlite corrupt or missing
  DefaultProfilePrefErrors: Unexpected character ',' before close parenthesis @
/usr/lib/thunderbird/omni.ja:greprefs.js:1141
  DefaultProfileThemes: extensions.sqlite corrupt or missing
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS "Focal Fossa" - Alpha amd64 (20200124)
  Profiles:
   Profile1 (Default) - LastVersion=None/None (Out of date)
   Profile0 - LastVersion=68.4.2/20200123140255 (In use)
  SourcePackage: thunderbird