There is no SCSI attribute named ref but there is one named rev.

This is likely to be a typo from ubuntu rewrite of the original
usb_modeswitch_dispatcher.tcl which reads the rev attribute.

Packages, which is subscribed to usb-modeswitch in Ubuntu.

  usb_modeswitch does not switch modems (remain visible as mass storage)

Status in usb-modeswitch package in Ubuntu:

  After upgrading to Ubuntu focal fossa development branch the usb_modeswitch
does not seem to work any more on a Toshiba laptop.
  Two modems I have D-Link DWM-156 and Huawei E3372 show up as drives and stay
like that until I use "Eject" in Gnome or explicitly use usb_modeswitch from
the terminal.
  I have a strong feeling that it may either be related to Gnome or hardware.
  On another Dell laptop with Kubuntu focal fossa development, both modems
connect automatically.

  /var/log/usb_modeswitch.log ends with:
  Warning: SCSI attribute "ref" not readable.
  Check class of first interface ...
  Device is in istall mode.
  No access to interface 8. Exit

  Up until and including the "ref" not readable is exactly the same as on
Kubuntu @ Dell.
  Yet on Kubuntu I get plenty of successful config logs after that and on
Ubuntu @ Toshiba I don't.