While I suggest you to use syspeek (as it causes the shell not to use as
much CPU as indicator-multiload), this is now fixed by version 32-1

** Changed in: gnome-shell-extension-appindicator (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: indicator-multiload

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-shell-extension-appindicator in
Ubuntu.

  Aardvark Daily: Indicator-Multiload doesn't show full-width

Status in System Load Indicator:
  Invalid
Status in gnome-shell-extension-appindicator package in Ubuntu:

  In Ubuntu Indicator-Multiload is an essential application as it shows
  that computer is actually doing something even when an application is
  giving no feedback for a long period of time. Conky is not an option
  as it gets hidden behind full screen applications.

  Unfortunately the move to Gnome has broken indicator-multiload so that it
can't show all of the indicators.
  CPU
  Memory
  Network
  Swap
  System Load
  Disk

  I've tried the developers suggestion of installing TopIcons and
  TopIconsplus to no avail. I see that Ubuntu App-Indicator is also
  installed so maybe app-indicator extension is broken in Gnome and not
  indicator-multiload.

  Anyway steps to reproduce:
  Install Ubuntu 16.04.x LTS
  Install indicator-multiload
  Open the settings of indicator-multiload by clicking on it and choosing
settings
  Click all of the sources on
  You will now see 6 panels showing the earlier described graphs.

  Now install Ubuntu 17.10 Daily
  Install indicator-multiload
  Mouse over the top bar to faintly get an idea where indicator-multiload is
running
  click on it and open the settings
  Click all of the sources on
  You will now see tiny faint lines which give no clue whatsoever as to what is
going on with the machine.

  Please fix either app-indicator extension or indicator-multiload to
  work with Gnome. Thanks

  Package: indicator-multiload 0.4-0ubuntu5
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sun Sep  3 19:12:33 2017
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 17.10 "Artful Aardvark" - Alpha amd64 (20170902)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>