Also have this problem - on Linux Mint 19.3, XFCE with a Samsung S7.
This worked fine under Mint 17.1 - listing 3500 jpeg files took 20
seconds; usually less.  Now when trying to read the same directory which
is now only 2500 jpeg files, both Thunar and PCMANFM take > 20 MINUTES
to generate a file listing - a slowdown by a factor of 60 for a thousand
fewer files.  But once the listing shows up, I can scroll and do file
transfers just fine.  Directories of only a few hundred jpegs on the
phone come up almost instantly.  I can't get a more recent version of
the libmtp than 1.1.13 from the repository, and I get errors that state
"Dependency is not satisfiable: libmpt9(=1.1.17-2)" when I try the other
solutions mentioned previously.

This is a deal breaker. Downloading pictures from my phone is one of the
most common operations I perform.  At this point, I may have to
reconsider going back to Windows 10, which at least gets the job done -
it takes roughly 40 seconds to do the directory on those 2500 files.

Packages, which is subscribed to gvfs in Ubuntu.

  Regression: MTP not working/very slow

Status in libmtp:
  New
Status in gvfs package in Ubuntu:

  Hi, unfortunately (for me) MTP android devices no more work on Ubuntu
  18.04.

  I have used MTP on 16.04 without problems, but on 18.04 it does not
  work. When I connect my Android devices (Samsung A5 and Samsung J3)
  and I try to list directories with many files (e.g. /DCIM/Camera) the
  window hangs until I disconnect the device. Same issue if I try to
  post the command "ls /var/run/1000/gvfs/<MTP-FOLDER>".

  I have installed Ubuntu 18.04 on two different machines - an older HP
  laptop and a recent DELL laptop - and the issue is present on the all
  of them.

  I suspect a defect on the "libmtp". I tried many alternative solutions
  suggested by the net (e.g. jmtpfs and so on) but anyone worked.

  That's all!

  Package: gvfs-fuse 1.36.1-0ubuntu1.1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.2
  Architecture: amd64