This bug is still present because the change that Matthias did was
unintentionally undone the following week. So it was not shipped as it
should have been, as part of gnome-software 3.35.91, which is the
current version in Ubuntu. I have signaled this issue upstream.

Packages, which is subscribed to appstream in Ubuntu.

  "The AppStream system cache was updated, but some components were
  ignored. Refer to the verbose log for more information."

Status in appstream package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in gnome-software package in Ubuntu:

  `apt-get update` and the nightly `apticron --cron` job are reporting:

  "The AppStream system cache was updated, but some components were
  ignored. Refer to the verbose log for more information."

  This is pretty much meaningless to most people who have no idea what
  AppStream is and what "verbose log" is being referred to. I dug around
  and managed to discover `appstreamcli refresh-cache --force
  --verbose`, whose output is attached.

  I don't know what the "bad" output is or how to fix it. All I know is
  that I hope Focal isn't going to be generating this message when it
  ships, because it isn't going to make sense to most people and most
  people won't know how to fix it and it causes annoying emails from
  apticron every night.

  Package: appstream 0.12.10-1
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME