Today's update to gnome-shell 3.36.0-2ubuntu2 seems to have fixed this
for me.

  Various actions produce images of applications running on all work-
  spaces on the current work-space

Status in Mutter:
  Unknown
  Fix Committed
Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I'm running Ubuntu 20.04 with two displays and four static workspaces.

  After upgrading various GNOME components to version 3.36.0-2ubuntu1
  I'm seeing the following with several applications open of four
  desktops:

  1) 'Alt-F2 r <enter>' restarts GNOME Shell but displays an image of
  all currently running applications on the current desktop. Moving to
  another desktop corrects the problem. Similar to bug 1819890 which was
  closed as fixed for this release.

  2) With Thunderbird running on 'Workspace 2', any attempt to open a
  menu produces an image of applications running on other desktops
  underneath Thunderbird.

  3) Above also applies when using Libreoffice and HomeBank so probably
  applies to any application that displays a menubar.

  I'm unsure of which package to report this against so reporting
  against mutter and adding gnome-shell.

  Package: mutter 3.36.0-2ubuntu1
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME