UPDATE: On a freshly installed Bionic (minimal install) system I also
had to install libusb-0.1-4

This procedure worked for me to get a Brother DCP-7020 scanner working in
Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic.

For this procedure the user is "bob"

1) Install the latest brscan2 package (I have brscan2-0.2.5-1.amd64.deb
which I downloaded in 2014)

2) Manually link the drivers brscan2 installed into /usr/lib/x86_64
-linux-gnu/sane/ and /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/

[Note that in /usr/lib64/sane/ BOTH libsane-brother2.so and
libsane.brother2.so.1 both link to libsane-brother2.so.1.0.7 so the
others could all link to that one file but this is easier.]

  bob:~$ cd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane

  $ sudo ln -sf /usr/lib64/sane/libsane-brother2.so
  $ sudo ln -sf /usr/lib64/sane/libsane-brother2.so.1
  $ sudo ln -sf /usr/lib64/sane/libsane-brother2.so.1.0.7

  bob:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane$ cd ..

(now in directory /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ )

  $ sudo ln -sf /usr/lib64/libbrcolm2.so
  $ sudo ln -sf /usr/lib64/libbrcolm2.so.1
  $ sudo ln -sf /usr/lib64/libbrcolm2.so.1.0.1
  $ sudo ln -sf /usr/lib64/libbrscandec2.so
  $ sudo ln -sf /usr/lib64/libbrscandec2.so.1
  $ sudo ln -sf /usr/lib64/libbrscandec2.so.1.0.0

3) Install this libusb library (if it's missing)

  $ sudo apt install libusb-0.1-4

4) At this point scanimage -L should detect the scanner when run as
root.

  $ sudo scanimage -L

4a) If it doesn't work and especially if you're running something other
than Ubuntu Bionic, you might make verify SANE is looking in the right
directory using the debug flag and see where it's not finding the pieces
it needs

  $ SANE_DEBUG_DLL=128 scanimage -L

5) Create a udev file so the scanner is accessible to a scanner group

  $ sudo gedit /lib/udev/rules.d/96-brother-scanner.rules

   -- with the following contents:

# Brother DCP-7020 scanner
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb" \
, ATTRS{idVendor}=="04f9" \
, ATTRS{idProduct}=="0183" \
, ACTION=="add", \
, MODE="0664", \
, GROUP="scanner" \
, ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

# note this udev instruction ends lines with \
# backslash so the single comma-separated
# udev command is not crammed onto one line.
# END OF FILE

6) Add the user bob to the scanner group (as specified in the udev file
above):

  $ sudo adduser bob scanner

7) If you're bob and you weren't already in the group you'll have to log
out and back in, or reboot the system. To reload udev:

  $ sudo udevadm control --reload-rules

--> Everything should work after you reboot / login / reload. Yay.

Packages, which is subscribed to cups in Ubuntu.

  Brother's printer/scanner drivers awkward to find and install

Status in cups package in Ubuntu:
  Opinion

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: cupsys

  Hello,

  I have the multifonction laser printer and scan Brother DCP-7030.

  It works very well in Ubuntu, but with some hard configuration.
  Printer is automatically detected when connected in USB, but Ubuntu
  does not propose DCP-7030 drivers, only DCP-7025, and it doesn't work
  well.

  To get DCP-7030 fully recognized and well printing / scanning, I have to do
this (it's a short summary) :
  http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/before.html

  - Printer BROTHER DCP-7030 :

  cd ~/desktop
  sudo aa-complain cupsd
  sudo mkdir /usr/share/cups/model
  http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/download_prn.html#DCP-7030
  sudo dpkg -i --force-all --force-architecture brdcp7030lpr-2.0.2-1.i386.deb
  sudo dpkg -i --force-all --force-architecture
cupswrapperDCP7030-2.0.2-1.i386.deb
  http://127.0.0.1:631/printers/DCP7030 : OK

  After that printer works

  - SCANNING :

  Install scan-key-tools  /  Brscan3
  http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/download_scn.html#brscan3
  http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/instruction_scn1a.html

  sudo gedit /lib/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules : in section
  "libusb device nodes", replacer 0664 by 0666

  sudo lsusb
  Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04f9:01a Brother Industries, Ltd
  Go to dev/bus/usb : bus 1 and device 4 is root owned
  Open it in Nautilus as root, change it to my user name and take ownership

  Now Simple Scan works, Brother-DCP is seen.

  But... big problem !

  At each restart of Ubuntu or DCP Brother, permission resets and comes
  back to root, I have to change ownership and re-log each time, this is
  not nice...

  Is it a way to "protect" the file against erasing or permission change
  ?

  It's also true for other models than DCP-7030 (like DCP-7040...). I do
  not know if it is a Cups / Ubuntu "bug" or Openprinting missing for
  new drivers, but as Brother gives functional drivers for Linux, this
  should be easily implemented I hope, as more and more materials are
  natively identified in Ubuntu.

  Thanks in advance for your help. Best regards,

  Xavier