** Description changed:

  Release:      19.10
  gnome-terminal:
-   Installed: 3.34.2-1ubuntu1
-   Candidate: 3.34.2-1ubuntu1
+   Installed: 3.34.2-1ubuntu1
+   Candidate: 3.34.2-1ubuntu1

  Context : In a typical daily use scenario, a Ubuntu user is not expected to
use a console login with "Ctrl-Alt Fx".
  Instead it is expected to use gnome-terminal for command-line interaction.
  That being said :

  What I expect to happen when I launch gnome-terminal :
  I expect the bash shell started by gnome-terminal to check local mail (in
/var/mail/$USER ) and reports accordingly "You have new mail" if there is new
mail.

- What happens instead :
+ What happens instead :
  gnome-terminal invokes bash with $MAIL variable not set. So mail is not
checked, and the user is never informed about new local mail.

- Workaround ? :
- Putting MAIL=/var/mail/user in ~/.bashrc should work, but it seems the bash
invoked by gnome-terminal does not even read ~/.bashrc
- So I have no idea.
+ Workaround :
+ Put
+ export MAIL=/var/mail/$USER
+ in ~/.bashrc

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-terminal in Ubuntu.

  Local mail is never checked

Status in gnome-terminal package in Ubuntu: