I was able to solve the problem.

1. 5.3.0-42 wifi worked
2. 5.3.0-46 wifi didn't work
3. booted into 5.3.0-42 with working wifi system
4. I used sudo lshw > lshw-42.txt to capture data
5. booted into 5.3.0-46 without working wifi
6. use sudo lshw > lshw-46.txt to capture data
7. I used diff command to compare the two .txt files
8. I determined that my hardware uses rtl8821ce driver but it wasn't working in
5.3.0-46
9. stopping and starting network-manager didn't work
10. I used cd rtl8821ce/ then sudo ./dkms-remove.sh to change directories and
remove the driver
11. when I attempted to reinstall the rtl8821ce drivers in 5.3.0-46, I
discovered that the kernel update hadn't installed the 5.3.0-46 headers which
prevented the wifi drivers from working.
11a. I was able to connect using bluetooth and my samsung G8 phone as hotspot.
12. I have Synaptic Program Manager so I was able to see the kernel headers
weren't installed with the kernel update to 5.3.0-46.
13. After installing the 5.3.0-46 headers, the "paused" rtl8821ce driver
install continued and "magically" the wifi started working!
14. performed restart and cold boot to verify wifi works again!

  kernel update to 5.3.0-46.38 broke wifi

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  my system updated to 5.3.0-46.38 and now I no longer have wifi. The
  driver doesn't seem to be installed since when I go to setup, wifi
  isn't an available option.

  Package: network-manager 1.20.4-2ubuntu2.2
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu8.8
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME