Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock in
Ubuntu.

  gnome-shell animations are noticeably stuttery when the Ubuntu
  extensions are enabled

Status in gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock package in Ubuntu:

  I have a Dell XPS 9360 with a FHD screen and a Intel HD620 iGPU, running
Ubuntu 20.04. On this system animations should be smooth and at 60fps, but this
is not always the case.
  The applications animation (the icons coming from the bottom left) is
specially stuttery most of the time. Sometimes it is buttery smooth, but most
of the times it is not. It is difficult to pinpoint when.

  Some exploration that may help to find the issue:
  * I also have a desktop with 20.04 and a Nvidia 750ti and it seems to be much
smoother. This seems to indicate that the problem is somehow related to the
Intel iGPU.
  * Animations seem smoother under Wayland. But, because of other limitations,
I am staying on Xorg for now.
  * The application animation is super stuttery the first time it is opened in
a session. It gets slowly better with subsequent uses, although never totally
smooth.
  " The animation is noticeably more stuttery if it opens the “All”
applications tab instead of “Frequent” apps. Maybe the number of apps (icons)
is a factor?
  * Vanilla gnome-session seems to be smoother. Maybe the problem is related to
Dash-to-dock or another Ubuntu extension? (In my ubuntu session only default
extensions are enabled).

  These datapoints are mainly subjective as I have no means of properly
  measure animations performance.

  Don't get my wrong, 20.04 is a clear improvement over 18.04. But it
  seems there is some room for improvement at least in this hardware.

  Package: gnome-shell 3.36.1-4ubuntu1
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Tue Apr 14 15:23:40 2020
  DisplayManager: gdm3
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Alpha amd64 (20180222)
  RelatedPackageVersions: mutter-common 3.36.1-3ubuntu1
  SourcePackage: gnome-shell