Public bug reported:

Whether I am using autofs or systemd automount units to mount network
shares (mainly cifs), gdm3 hangs regularly as soon my notebook returns
from suspend mode and the user enters their password.

With automount being disabled gdm3 doesn't hang.

1) lsb_release -rd
Release:        18.04

2) gdm3:
  Installiert:           3.28.3-0ubuntu18.04.4
gnome-shell:
  Installiert:           3.28.4-0ubuntu18.04.3

3) I'd expect to gdm3 to login the user after authenticating the user.

4) gdm3 hangs after the user typed in their password.

Steps to reproduce - as an example a samba network share gets mounted in
/shares/transfer:

a) The notebook is connected to network via ethernet.
b) Network share gets mounted by automounter (eg. ls /shares/transfer).
c) As soon the share is mounted suspend the notebook.
d) Disconnect ethernet (eg. undocking the notebook).
e) Power on the notebook (in undocked state with no ethernet connected).
f) Whether the notebook has a wifi connection or not, after typing in the
password, gdm3 hangs. tty logins still possible, hanging automounter connection
is to see.

My current workaround:
I am using a systemd unit to unmount all automatically mounted network shares.
Additional NetworkManager dispatcher script kills network connection to file
server in case network device changes with automounts being active.

** Affects: gdm3 (Ubuntu)

** Tags: autofs automount cifs network nfs share

Packages, which is subscribed to gdm3 in Ubuntu.

  gdm3 hangs after entering password with automounting network share

Status in gdm3 package in Ubuntu: