I have the same issue when I boot up with my USB headphone plugged in. The
sound output defaults to the USB headphone, the volume controller controls its
volume. However the sound comes from the internal speaker as I expect it to do.
If I change the sound output device to the internal speakers then the sound
controller works fine until I reboot. After reboot everything starts over again.
If I don't have the USB headphones plugged in during boot then this issue
doesn't happen.

I have an Asus Zephyrus S GX531GX laptop and a pair of Asus Delta USB
headphones. 19.10 and 20.04 both have this issue.

** Tags added: fecal

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Default audio device changes on reboot; audio still outputs using my
  previously-selected device

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  This is present in Ubuntu 18.04, 18.10, 19.04, and 19.10 daily build.
  It was not present in Ubuntu 16.04.

  I have a USB microphone which also appears to pulse as a speaker.
  Pulse keeps picking it as the default audio device. I can switch audio
  devices to my analog line out, which works as expected until I reboot.

  After reboot, my audio device switches back to the USB "speaker", and
  Gnome shell / Gnome settings volume control adjusts the USB speaker
  volume. Despite  seeing the USB device as the current output device, I
  still hear sound from my line-out.

  In the interest of narrowing down this bug, I have found that
  disabling "module-switch-on-connect" fixes the problem (my line-out
  stays as the default audio device and I hear sound).

  Package: pulseaudio 1:12.2-2ubuntu3
  ApportVersion: 2.20.10-0ubuntu27.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Wed Jul 31 17:39:38 2019
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 19.04 "Disco Dingo" - Release amd64 (20190416)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: pulseaudio
  dmi.bios.date: 12/07/2018
  dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: 4207
  dmi.board.asset.tag: Default string
  dmi.board.name: PRIME B350M-A
  dmi.board.vendor: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
  dmi.board.version: Rev X.0x
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: Default string
  dmi.chassis.type: 3
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Default string
  dmi.chassis.version: Default string
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvr4207:bd12/07/2018:svnSystemmanufacturer:pnSystemProductName:pvrSystemVersion:rvnASUSTeKCOMPUTERINC.:rnPRIMEB350M-A:rvrRevX.0x:cvnDefaultstring:ct3:cvrDefaultstring:
  dmi.product.family: To be filled by O.E.M.
  dmi.product.name: System Product Name
  dmi.product.sku: SKU
  dmi.product.version: System Version
  dmi.sys.vendor: System manufacturer