Hi!

Sorry for the late answer. Here is the return for `vlc --version`.  The
issue is relatively difficult to reproduce: I have a set of mkv/webm
files that do it all the times, but if I set-up VLC with other files
(mp3), the issue does not appear.

```bash
$ vlc --version
VLC media player 3.0.8 Vetinari (revision 3.0.8-0-gf350b6b5a7)
VLC version 3.0.8 Vetinari (3.0.8-0-gf350b6b5a7)
Compiled by buildd on lcy01-amd64-014.buildd (Sep 11 2019 11:39:37)
Compiler: gcc version 7.4.0 (Ubuntu 7.4.0-1ubuntu1~18.04.1)
This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
You may redistribute it under the terms of the GNU General Public Licence;
see the file named COPYING for details.
Written by the VideoLAN team; see the AUTHORS file.
```

I was also able to reproduce the issue with LibreOffice: I launched
LibreOffice, then switched workspace.  Once LibreOffice was ready, it
appeared “by surprise” in the Alt+Tab menu of another workspace.

VLC and LibreOffice are both large softwares: maybe they both launch
some kind of global instance in addition to the windows, and it is this
global instance that trigger the Alt-Tab notification?  I can’t tell,
apart from the fact that each time this happens, I’m being caught by
surprise 😅​

I attaching the logs.  At the time 11:50, it was VLC doing the Alt+Tab
appearance in another workspace, and at 11:54, it was LibreOffice.

I will try to reproduce the issue in a newly created session. ☺

Have a nice day ☺
Martin.

** Attachment added: "result of ` journalctl -b 0`"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell/+bug/1865337/+attachment/5364333/+files/log3

  Gnome 3 keeps adding VLC in Alt+Tab

  Hi,

  I have these two settings on:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/464946/force-alt-tab-to-switch-only-on-current-workspace-in-gnome-shell
 and
https://superuser.com/questions/394376/how-to-prevent-gnome-shells-alttab-from-grouping-windows-from-similar-apps
  I would thus expect that Alt+Tab would only show apps from the current
workspace. However, I have VLC on another workspace, and Gnome 3 always show
VLC as first app in Alt+Tab. To remove the app, I have to go to VLC’s
workspace, and focus its window. But then when VLC will switch song, it will go
again as first app in Gnome 3’s Alt+Tab shortcut in ALL workspace.

  This is my number 1 issue in Gnome 3 that just makes me crazy: as VLC
  is shown as first app when I do Alt+Tab and that the current app is
  thus shwn second, doing Alt+tab quickly leaves the current app as
  current. Because VLC was shown first and the current app second,
  Alt+Tab goes to the second element, that is, the current one. This
  basically makes Alt+Tab completely useless for me, and I have to press
  the super key each time to switch windows. This is extremely annoying.

  Of course, I could just type Alt+tab+tab to switch to the third app,
  expect that (1) this is extremely counter-intuitive, and (2) depending
  on whether VLC is adding this “all workspace Alt+Tab notification” or
  not, the semantics is not the same.

  Note that I have prevented VLC to display any notification. This
  prevents VLC from adding overlay notification, but does not prevent
  VLC to do this Alt+Tab notification.

  This is incredibly annoying. As the semantics of “/org/gnome/shell
  /app-switcher/current-workspace-only” is *not* to only switch between
  current workspace (as it always adds VLC’s notificationsm whichever
  workspace VLC is), I suggest to either rename it or fix its behaviour
  to match its name.

  print-screen button in Gnome 3 frustratingly does not work when
  pressing Alt+Tab, I took it with my phone. In this case, I have
  Firefox opened as well as a console in this workspace, and VLC is in
  another workspace. I have a lot of other apps in other workspaces too,
  but they do not trigger this “Alt+Tab notification”.

  Regards,
  Martin.

  Package: gnome-shell 3.28.4-0ubuntu18.04.3
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.15.0-1073.83-oem 4.15.18
  Uname: Linux 4.15.0-1073-oem x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.11
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sun Mar  1 11:51:56 2020
  DisplayManager: gdm3
  DistributionChannelDescriptor:
   # This is the distribution channel descriptor for the OEM CDs
   # For more information see
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/DistributionChannelDescriptor
   canonical-oem-somerville-bionic-amd64-20180608-47+berlinetta-cfl-r+X77
  GsettingsChanges:
   b'org.gnome.shell' b'enable-hot-corners' b'true'
   b'org.gnome.shell' b'favorite-apps' redacted by apport
   b'org.gnome.desktop.interface' b'gtk-im-module' b"'gtk-im-context-simple'"
   b'org.gnome.desktop.interface' b'show-battery-percentage' b'true'
   b'org.gnome.desktop.interface' b'clock-show-date' b'true'
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04 "Bionic" - Build amd64 LIVE Binary
20180608-09:38
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)