It seems to be the same problem as bug 1872476, but there it seems to
affect samba. I found that samba 4.11.7 alone works fine and that the
bug only occurs if the samba shares are mounted with gio mount.
Therefore I suppose it is a gio bug.

Before installing a patched samba version in my system I would like to
know what has been done there. A patched samba can be quite a security
risk.

Packages, which is subscribed to gvfs in Ubuntu.

  in GIO 2.64.2 (Ubuntu 20.04) smb file attributes corrupted

Status in gvfs package in Ubuntu:

  If the samba protocol is reduced to SMB-1 (option client max protocol
  = NT1 in smb.conf), in all samba shares mounted with gio mount, the
  mounting used by file managers like Nautilus or Thunar, ordinary files
  are displayed as empty folders and therefore not usable. The problem
  seems to be new in Ubuntu 20.04 (samba 4.11 and GIO 2.64.2) because it
  did not exist in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (samba 4.7 and GIO 2.56.4).

  In a shell opened by smbclient or in samba-shares mounted via
  mount.cifs, in Ubuntu 20.02 all files are displayed correctly and
  usable, even when the protocol is reduced to SMB-1 (client max
  protocol = NT1 in smb.conf or mount-option vers 1.0). Therefore the
  problem seems not to be a bug in samba 4.11 but one in the used GIO
  version.