[Expired for alsa-driver (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for
60 days.]

** Changed in: alsa-driver (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  Realtek ALC888 recognized as having 2 channels instead of 8

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  I cannot see the controls for the 7.1 channels supported by the laptop. I
tried to compile a new alsa snapshot just in case it's fixed but I lost the
audio device altogether after rebooting. I also tried
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-audio-dev/+archive/ppa
  which should be the proper way to update alsa in ubuntu but again the audio
device disappears altogether.

  I tried to use
  options snd-hda-intel model=targa-8ch-dig
  and though I can see alsa controls now for the surround system but only 1
jack is working and the sound is coming from the wrong jack (rear instead of
front/headphone) beside other problems.

  I tried to send the bug the proper way but I got a crash like below:
  $ ubuntu-bug audio
  Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address.
  IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon
  Gtk-Message: (for origin information, set GTK_DEBUG): failed to retrieve
property `gtk-enable-event-sounds' of type `gboolean' from rc file value
"((GString*) 0x7fdce786db00)" of type `gboolean'
  Gtk-Message: (for origin information, set GTK_DEBUG): failed to retrieve
property `gtk-enable-input-feedback-sounds' of type `gboolean' from rc file
value "((GString*) 0x7fdce786d940)" of type `gboolean'
  : Fatal IO error: client killed
  Attempting to load the system libmoon

  So, attached is alsa-info