Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
Ubuntu better. Please execute the following command, as it will
automatically gather debugging information, in a terminal:

  apport-collect 1877866

When reporting bugs in the future please use apport by using 'ubuntu-
bug' and the name of the package affected. You can learn more about this
functionality at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReportingBugs.

** Changed in: nvidia-graphics-drivers-340 (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-340 in Ubuntu.

  While using nvidia driver the system loops back to login immediately
  after entering password. Graphical glitches exist in top half of
  screen. When changing to different tty the log in screen remains
  displayed, but I am able to login blind to the tty and enter commands.
  When entering command into the tty, the graphics glitches move around.

Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-340 package in Ubuntu:

  Graphic adaptor: VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218M
  [NVS 3100M] (rev a2)

  I was using the proprietary nvidia driver package at the time.

  Using the recovery console I removed the nvidia driver and switched to
  nouveau. Everything works OK now. I used the nvidia driver for several
  days on this fresh install with no problems.

  Distributor ID: Ubuntu
  Release:        20.04
  Codename:       focal

  Linux 5.4.0-29-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 29 14:32:27 UTC 2020
  x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

  Was using nVidia Driver: nVidia binary driver - version 340.108 from
  nVidia-340.

  Please feel free to contact me if additional information / logs are
  needed. I am located in Minnesota, US so please be mindful about what
  hours you choose to contact me during.

  jd.qz...@gmail.com
  Joseph Dighton /  1-763-250-8135