** Bug watch added: gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-control-center/-/issues #999
   https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-control-center/-/issues/999

** Also affects: gnome-control-center via
   https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-control-center/-/issues/999

  Certain features in the Sharing panel fail with D-Bus related messages
  when gnome-control-center is run over ssh -X

Status in gnome-control-center:
  Unknown
Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:

  When I run gnome-control-center (1:3.36.1-1ubuntu5) on a remote Ubuntu
  20.04 host over ssh -X, trying to enable Screen Sharing (VNC) or Media
  Sharing in the Sharing panel (*) fails with the following D-Bus

  (gnome-control-center:25937): sharing-cc-panel-WARNING **: 00:15:12.770:
couldn't list networks: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:
The name org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Sharing was not provided by any .service files

  (gnome-control-center:25937): sharing-cc-panel-WARNING **:
  00:15:28.646: Failed to enable service vino-server:
  GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
  org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Sharing was not provided by any .service
  files

  (gnome-control-center:25937): sharing-cc-panel-WARNING **: 00:15:54.309:
Failed to enable service rygel:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Sharing was not provided by any .service files

  What does this mean? Can I do anything about it? A remote user,
  sitting in front of the remote computer, can enable Screen Sharing or
  Media Sharing in gnome-control-center themselves. Failure to enable
  only occurs over ssh -X, as far as I can tell.

  Looking up this error online led me down a D-Bus rabbit hole. I found
  many year-old StackExchange answers that recommend setting various
  environment variables and/or running dbus-launch to start a session
  bus instance of dbus-daemon, in case of D-Bus related errors.

  I am rather unfamiliar with D-Bus, but I can see using ps -ef | grep
  dbus that a session bus instance of dbus-daemon is already running. It
  has been started under my UID at the time of my SSH login. So I'm wary
  of those old resources. I have tried following their instructions
  though, for completeness sake, but to no avail. I can provide more
  information if necessary.

  (*) This odd situation happened when I had to provide technical
  support over VNC to an older user whose computer I had previously set
  up with SSH access. Hence why I was using ssh -X to try and enable VNC
  in gnome-control-center...