Went ahead and enabled proposed updates, updated the machine and
rebooted, fractional scaling and display arrangement was remembered.
When logging into x11 there was a "big" flicker and display fragments
but cleared up once shell loaded. on wayland I dont get the options for
frac. scaling even when its enabled. I think thats a separate issue
though.

Packages, which is subscribed to mutter in Ubuntu.

  Display scale and layout not remembered when X11 Fractional Scaling is
  enabled

Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in mutter source package in Focal:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  [ Impact ]

  After upgrading to 19.04, I enabled the experimental 'x11-randr-
  fractional-scaling' setting.  If I set scaling to 125, 150, or 200%,
  the setting is remembered and used the next time I log in.  If I set
  scaling to 100%, however, the next time I log in the scaling switches
  back to 200% automatically.  I only want to use fractional scaling for
  external monitors.

  [ Test case ]

  - Use a multi-monitor setup
  - Enable Fractional scaling under X11 (from display settings)
  - Setup mixed-DPI settings in gnome-control-center
  - Log-out
  - Log-in again
    + Settings should be preserved

  [ Regression potential ]

  It's not possible to set some scaling combinations any more with
  multiple or single monitors.

  - Configuration is not restored at all.

  [ Known issue ]

  Monitor settings won't be preserved disabling fractional scaling or
  enabling it in the wayland session.

  -----

  Background: This is on a Dell XPS 9360 with a 1920x1080 ~168 DPI
  screen.  Pretty standard configuration.  I have my DisplaySize set to
  294x165 in Xorg.conf, Xft.dpi=168, GTK font scaling factor 1.0.

  I have been unable to find an appropriate combination of settings
  where 168 DPI is respected for accurate font rendering, while at the
  same time not scaling up the rest of the UI to unusable proportions.
  Fractional scaling seems to be the only way to adjust some Gnome UI
  elements.