+1  Confirming the bug. I'm not a fan of snaps or containerized apps in
general - I don't think they're ready just yet, so I always de-install
them from my OS. I did that today and have encountered the same problem
as the OP.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-software in Ubuntu.

  Removing gnome software snap plugin breaks gnome software storefront
  on Xubuntu 20.04

Status in gnome-software package in Ubuntu:

  How to reproduce:

  1) Fresh install of Xubuntu 20.04
  2) Open "Terminal"
  3) Type "sudo apt autoremove --purge snapd gnome-software-plugin-snap"
  4) Launch "Gnome Software"

  Result:
  I removed snapd & the Gnome Software snap plugin and I noticed that it broke
the Gnome Software front page, where you can see all the featured and
recommended applications etc. See attached screenshot. After running "sudo apt
autoremove --purge snapd gnome-software-plugin-snap" the Gnome Software Center
should default back to showing applications from the Ubuntu repository and not
snap store.

  I tried clearing the app-info cache but to no avail.

  $pkill gnome-software
  $sudo rm -r /var/cache/app-info
  $sudo appstreamcli refresh --force --verbose

  Gnome-Software terminal output:
  12:06:06:0632 Gs  enabled plugins: desktop-categories, fwupd, os-release,
packagekit, packagekit-local, packagekit-offline, packagekit-proxy,
packagekit-refine-repos, packagekit-refresh, packagekit-upgrade,
packagekit-url-to-app, appstream, desktop-menu-path, hardcoded-blacklist,
modalias, odrs, packagekit-refine, rewrite-resource, packagekit-history,
provenance, systemd-updates, generic-updates, provenance-license, icons,
key-colors, key-colors-metadata
  12:06:06:0633 Gs  disabled plugins: dpkg, dummy, repos
  12:06:07:0935 Gs  Only 0 apps for popular list, hiding
  12:06:07:0965 Gs  hiding category audio-video featured applications: found
only 0 to show, need at least 9
  12:06:07:0965 Gs  hiding category graphics featured applications: found only
0 to show, need at least 9
  12:06:08:0925 Gs  Only 2 apps for recent list, hiding

  Package: gnome-software 3.36.0-0ubuntu3
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair
  CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
  CasperVersion: 1.445
  CurrentDesktop: XFCE
  Date: Mon May 18 11:56:16 2020
  InstalledPlugins:
   gnome-software-plugin-flatpak N/A
   gnome-software-plugin-snap    N/A
  LiveMediaBuild: Xubuntu 20.04 LTS "Focal Fossa" - Release amd64 (20200423)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: gnome-software
  modified.conffile..etc.xdg.autostart.gnome-software-service.desktop: [deleted]