I have the same experience as Comment #14 - on a fresh install of 20.04
LTS, this problem randomly (at least it seems random) occurs and is
fixed by killing speech-dispatcher.

Packages, which is subscribed to speech-dispatcher in Ubuntu.

  speech-dispatcher distorts all sound

Status in speech-dispatcher package in Ubuntu:

  So, a brand new computer running Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS.
  In hardinfo summary, my audio adapters are
  • HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI
  • HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
  • HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
  In detail: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio
Controller (rev 06)
  Memory 16kb (non-prefetchable), snd_hda_intel

  As soon as I load a website in Firefox that utilizes speech-dispatcher
  (fimfiction.net) all sounds get distorted, whether I click a paragraph
  for TTS reading or not. The problem seems to go away if I don't use
  the site after a while. When I close down Firefox the problem still
  lingers a bit, but maybe not as long. One thing I did which seemed
  faster was close down everything, then load what I wanted to listen to
  (Skype, Discord), and if it still persisted I would go into "Sound
  Settings" and after a few blinks in that window the sound is normal
  again.

  While the site is open, according to "Sound Settings" (from the
  speaker icon menu) and Pulse Audio Volume Controller (pavu) there are
  4 copies of this package. Muting them did not help the problem, but
  moving one of them, and a very specific one, from the "Built-in Audio
  Analog Stereo" to something else like HDA NVidia (HDMI 3) seems to be
  a workaround.

  Just so you know, I do not use the HDMI cable for sound, but instead
  use the "headphones" jack. If you need any more details, I'll try to
  provide them.

  /Edward