Public bug reported:

I am using onboard on arch Linux with i3 on a convertible laptop.  I
have "Auto-show when editing text" enabled as well as "Auto-show only in
tablet mode".  The acpid service is enabled with systemd and works
properly.  onboard is started when logging in through "exec --no-
startup-id onboard" within the i3 configs.  When first started, onboard
automatically assumes it is in tablet mode and will auto-show the
keyboard when editing text.  Once the computer is flipped into tablet
mode and flipped back into laptop mode, onboard doesn't automatically
show, which is the expected behavior.  I assume this is because onboard
doesn't receive an initial acpid message telling it it is starting in
laptop mode, so it assumes tablet mode initially.  Having a setting to
specify whether to start in tablet or laptop mode could fix this issue.

** Affects: onboard (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to onboard in Ubuntu.

  onboard defaults to tablet mode

Status in onboard package in Ubuntu: