Once upon a time Firefox had -remote for executing commands on linux like that,
but it was removed back in Firefox 39.  This also allowed doing useful stuff
like telling firefox to reload a url.
but also:
-remote "xfeDoCommand(close)"

Regrettably there's no replacement for this super useful legacy
functionality that I know of apart from Selenium Webdriver (have fun) or
xdotool scripting.

Of those options, xdotool sending commands to window with Firefox name
to ctrl-q is probably sanest, with possible confirmation prompt
handling.

  MASTER Firefox crashes on instant X server shutdown

Status in Mozilla Firefox:
  Confirmed
Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in firefox-3.0 package in Ubuntu:

  Firefox crashes when X server is forcefully torn down (e.g. by
  pressing ctrl-alt-backspace) and a crash report gets generated on next
  login.

  (Original Report:
  I've reproduced it once on my machine with the following steps. With, oh,
about 5 tabs open, I just pressed ctrl-alt-backspace, logged back in when the X
server restarted, and FF crashed with a bug report when Gnome tried to restore
the session.

  It's not terribly important, I don't think anyone does this very often, but
maybe it'll be helpful.
  )