with bug 1636583 fixed, you can also tell them the address with an
ending slash, that will force a visit.

  Wishlist: add "use input as a search term" to "address not found" page

Status in Mozilla Firefox:
  Fix Released
Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: firefox

  Altogether too often when I get the "Address Not Found" page, it is
  because I expected too much from the Wonderful Bar or whatever it's
  called.  It would be a useful addition if the "Address Not Found" page
  could offer the option to use the stuff you typed into the location
  bar as input for your designated search engine, and/or perform history
  search on those terms.  (For me, the former is the more useful, but I
  expect both would be handy, and the effort to offer both is probably
  marginal if you decide to do one or the other.)

  All to often, what you typed in is no longer visible in the location
  bar, because http:// gets prepended and sometimes a .com appended to
  what is displayed in the location bar at the point you get the
  "Address Not Found" error.