Thank you for your bug report, could you sent it also upstream on
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/-/issues ?

** Changed in: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Truncated audio frequency response on snd-aloop device

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  Hi. I've found something strange happening when I record the output of
  a sound card through loopback device audio monitor.

  If I load the snd-aloop module, then setup a player to play a chirp sound
that spans a sine wave between 10Hz and 22kHz through it, and then record the
virtual monitor device through Audacity it drops the frequencies something over
16kHz like it have a low pass filter on it.
  The  sampling rate is 44100 or 48000, it doesn't matters, the result is the
same.

  Also in some cases I found that the signal path between channels
  doesn't have correct syncing. A chirp sound is ideal for testing,
  because if there is some delay between channels, it would produce a
  comb filter like frequency response on the mono mix.

  It also happens with real sound cards, not virtual ones.

  The question is about how to narrow down the issue. I think it's not
  ALSA related, because it happens both on the hardware device and the
  virtual loop one.

  Attached I put my chirp test sound.

  I played it on the command line with:

  $ ffplay -loop 1000 chirp_test.flac

  Then I setup the recording path with pavucontrol, to target the
  Audacity input

  My versions:

  pulseaudio 12.2-2
  linux kernel 5.6.13

  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      18.04

  pulseaudio:
    Installed: 1:12.2-9~bionic1
    Candidate: 1:12.2-9~bionic1
    Version table:
   *** 1:12.2-9~bionic1 500
          500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/mikhailnov/pulseeffects/ubuntu
bionic/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       1:11.1-1ubuntu7.8 500
          500 http://ar.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates/main amd64
Packages
       1:11.1-1ubuntu7.7 500
          500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security/main amd64
Packages
       1:11.1-1ubuntu7 500
          500 http://ar.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages

  Attached on this there is a .tar.gz containing both .flac files
  chirp_test.flac is the original file.
  chirp_loopback_recorded.flac is the recorded file from the loopback device.

  Thank You.