I rebooted last night for a new kernel. This morning the monitors were
on with nothing but a cursor on the screen again. Attached is the
journal output.

** Attachment added: "lastboot.log.gz"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell/+bug/1882462/+attachment/5383262/+files/lastboot.log.gz

** Changed in: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

  Displays wake up pre-maturely (likely driven by notification)

  After a period of time, my displays go to sleep as they should.
  However, I often come back to find that the displays are awake, the
  mouse pointer is on a screen, but the screens are otherwise black.
  They're in this weird "awake but not fully on" mode. At that point,
  they will not go back to sleep as they should unless I fully awake
  them and let them go back to sleep.

  I don't know exactly what triggers the "half awake" but I suspect it's
  a notification. The displays shouldn't turn on without a user action.
  It wastes power and is clearly broken. I've attached a photo for an
  example.

  Package: gnome-shell 3.36.2-1ubuntu1~20.04.1
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.2
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sun Jun  7 16:10:20 2020
  DisplayManager: gdm3
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20180724)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  RelatedPackageVersions: mutter-common 3.36.2-1ubuntu1~20.04.1
  SourcePackage: gnome-shell
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to focal on 2020-01-07 (152 days ago)