Public bug reported:

I have a Dell XPS 13 9380 laptop with Type-C dock. There are two
external monitors (DisplayPort) and USB mouse attached to the doc.

Normally I disconnect the dock cable from the laptop, close the laptop lid and
laptop suspends.
However, sometimes it doesn't suspend.
I can see the 'Lid closed.' message in systemd-logind log which is normally
followed by a sleep.
Once this happens, laptop no longer suspends on lid close until I restart Gnome
session.
Also, if I lock it, the screen goes black but the backlight does not turn off.

I can put computer to a sleep from Gnome menu.

I'm not sure if it's issue is specific to Type-C dock though. It happens
rarely, maybe 1 of 20 times.

It appears like gsd does not detect monitors disconnect event in some
cases:

abram@abram-laptop:~$ systemd-inhibit --list --mode=block
WHO   UID  USER  PID     COMM           WHAT
                 WHY
MODE
gdm   123  gdm   1977595 gsd-power      handle-lid-switch
                 External monitor attached or configuration changed recently
block
gdm   123  gdm   1977593 gsd-media-keys
handle-power-key:handle-suspend-key:handle-hibernate-key GNOME handling
keypresses                                   block
abram 1000 abram 779130  gsd-media-keys
handle-power-key:handle-suspend-key:handle-hibernate-key GNOME handling
keypresses                                   block

3 inhibitors listed.

I've also seen a similar issue mentioned at askubuntu:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1196871/gnome-supend-on-laptop-lid-close-no-longer-works-since-19-10-upgrade
The accepted answer involves killing gsd-power but that's more like a
workaround than a fix; the same presumably happens when Gnome session is
restarted.

Package: gnome-settings-daemon 3.36.1-0ubuntu1
ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.2
Architecture: amd64
CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
CurrentDesktop: GNOME