Still this way years later on Bionic with 4 cores and  8 GB RAM I just
tried to open a folder of maybe 100  images from my camera average 7 MB
each    after maybe 3 minutes of no preview or listing of any of them,
I got frustrated and started searching for a way to  make Nautilus   not
even just faster but even usable. I use it to display my desktop
(metacity w/ Gnome flashback )or I would  just make  some other ANY
other file manager be default.

  Nautilus is very slow when opening folders with many files

Status in Nautilus:
  New
Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  Opening folders with many files takes a long time with Nautilus, to the point
it becomes unusable for folders with more than 5K files.
  I've measured the time it takes for folders with different amount of files to
open with Nautilus and Gnome Commander. It is ~6 times faster with GC on
average. In folders with ~20K files, it takes 30s with nautilus versus 6! with
GC.

  With Nautilus
  ~3500 files tales 6 seconds
  ~7000 files takes 18 seconds
  ~15000 files takes 22 seconds
  ~20000 files takes 30 seconds

  With Gnome Commander
  ~3500 files tales <1 second
  ~7000 files takes 1.5 seconds
  ~15000 files takes 3 seconds
  ~20000 files takes 6 seconds

  These are mostly small dicom files (MRI images). I am using a 8 core 3.4Ghz
and 16Gigs of RAM with Ubuntu 11.04 64-bits.
  Also, of course, things like selecting all files and copying them around is
absurdly slow and makes nautilus unusable... but that would be another bug
report (?).