Trying different free software PDF readers, at least some of which use
the same PDF library as evince, does not produce any crashes, but error
(or warning) messages for some:

- xpdf works without messages.

- okular works without messages (and can extract the embedded XML).

- Firefox works without messages (and can extract the embedded XML).

- Chrome works without messages.

- pdfdetach (from poppler-utils) can extract the embedded XML file.

- pdftk can extract the XML.

- mupdf works with error and warning messages:
error: Unable to read ICC workflow
warning: Attempt to read Output Intent failed

- gv works with error messages:
   **** Error: ignoring annotation with scale factor of 0
               Output may be incorrect.
Error: Ignoring invalid annotation, output may be incorrect.
   **** Error: ignoring annotation with scale factor of 0
               Output may be incorrect.
Error: Ignoring invalid annotation, output may be incorrect.

The PDF document can be transformed to be acceptable to evince: recreating the
PDF with pdftk results in a file that works without errors, even in evince.

But 'mutool clean' does not change anything.

This issue seems to be specific to evince, and affect many versions,
including recent ones.

Packages, which is subscribed to evince in Ubuntu.

  evince crashes when opening rfc8798.pdf

Status in evince package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in evince package in Debian:

  evince reproducabely crashes when opening the file rfc8798.pdf from
  https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8798.pdf:

  $ evince --version
  GNOME Document Viewer 3.28.4
  $ evince rfc8798.pdf
  Segmentation fault (core dumped)
  $ cat /etc/lsb-release
  DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
  DISTRIB_RELEASE=18.04
  DISTRIB_CODENAME=bionic
  DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS"

  Required information:

  1) Ubuntu release info:
  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:        18.04

  2) Package version info:
  $ apt-cache policy evince
  evince:
    Installed: 3.28.4-0ubuntu1.2
    Candidate: 3.28.4-0ubuntu1.2
    Version table:
   *** 3.28.4-0ubuntu1.2 500
          500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates/main amd64
Packages
          500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security/main amd64
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       3.28.2-1 500
          500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages

  3) Expected outcome:
  I expected evince to successfully open the PDF, allowing me to read the
document.

  4) Observed behavior:
  The default PDF reader of Ubuntu, evince, crashed (reporting a "segmentation
fault".