** Also affects: xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu (Ubuntu)
Importance: Undecided
Status: New
--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1888088
Title:
[amdgpu] [Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 14ARE05] Display won't rotate, nor do
fractional scaling
Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:
New
Status in xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu package in Ubuntu:
New
Bug description:
Opening Settings -> Display and selecting an orientation other than
Landscape doesn't work. Similarly, selecting Fractional Scaling and
then picking a scale factor has no effect.
This is a recently installed Ubuntu 20.04, fully updated, on a
recently released laptop/tablet that uses an AMD Ryzen 4500U
integrated CPU/GPU. It is possible that the GPU is not being detected
by Ubuntu and that is the root cause of the problem. I couldn't find
an easy explanation online about how to tell whether a GPU was
detected or is in use. I did try running "tlp-stat -g" to get
graphics status, but it returns without printing anything except its
version number (1.3.1).
When I choose an orientation, such as Portrait Right, the setting
changes and an "Apply" button appears in the top of the Settings
window. When I press it, up pops up a dialog asking whether I want to
"Keep these display settings?" with two options, keep or revert. The
rest of the screen goes grey behind the dialog box, but I can already
see behind the popup that the screen did not change its orientation,
and the "Orientation" setting back in the Settings->Display window has
been reverted to "Landscape" without me doing it. Whether I choose
keep or revert, or merely let it time out after 20 seconds, the result
remains the same -- the display stays in Landscape mode and the
setting that I had made is reverted.
Regarding scaling, I can set the display scale to 100% (default) or
200%, successfully. But when I turn on the "Fractional Scaling"
slider, the graphics around the edge of the screen immediately
increase in size (the icons in the left-hand dock, the text in the top
bar), even though I have not changed the scale setting. I have
included two screenshots (original screen, and with Fractional Scaling
on). There is also some strangeness about whether sliding the
Fractional Scaling slider updates the Scale menu to allow more scales
- sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.
When I attempt to set a fractional scale such as 125%, the "Apply"
button appears in the upper right corner. When I press that, the
display does not actually scale, and a pop-up asks if I want to keep
or revert the setting. But looking back at the Displays settings, the
Scale has already reverted to 100% (as above with the Orientation).
Screenshot enclosed.
The display has been rock-solid before this, but now it started
showing artifacts, such as previous copies of the Displays window.
I've enclosed a screen shot, which shows checkerboard in the screen
locations that (in reality) were displaying prior versions of the
window. Hmm, examining that screenshot, it looks like the display DID
start occupying 25% more space horizontally and vertically, but
something about the video scanning versus the screen updating got out
of whack.
ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 20.04
Package: xorg 1:7.7+19ubuntu14
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.4.0-40.44-generic 5.4.44
Uname: Linux 5.4.0-40-generic x86_64
ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.4
Architecture: amd64
BootLog:
CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
CompositorRunning: None
Date: Sat Jul 18 14:00:38 2020
DistUpgraded: Fresh install
DistroCodename: focal
DistroVariant: ubuntu
ExtraDebuggingInterest: Yes
GraphicsCard:
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Renoir [1002:1636] (rev c3) (prog-if
00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: Lenovo Renoir [17aa:3f1a]
InstallationDate: Installed on 2020-07-16 (1 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS "Focal Fossa" - Release amd64 (20200423)
MachineType: LENOVO 81X2
ProcEnviron:
TERM=xterm-256color
PATH=(custom, no user)
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
SHELL=/bin/bash
ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-5.4.0-40-generic
root=/dev/mapper/vgubuntu-root ro quiet splash acpi_enforce_resources=lax
vt.handoff=7
SourcePackage: xorg
Symptom: display
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
dmi.bios.date: 04/08/2020
dmi.bios.vendor: LENOVO
dmi.bios.version: EECN20WW
dmi.board.asset.tag: No Asset Tag
dmi.board.name: LNVNB161216
dmi.board.vendor: LENOVO
dmi.board.version: SDK0J40700 WIN
dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Tag
dmi.chassis.type: 31
dmi.chassis.vendor: LENOVO
dmi.chassis.version: IdeaPad Flex 5 14ARE05
dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnLENOVO:bvrEECN20WW:bd04/08/2020:svnLENOVO:pn81X2:pvrIdeaPadFlex514ARE05:rvnLENOVO:rnLNVNB161216:rvrSDK0J40700WIN:cvnLENOVO:ct31:cvrIdeaPadFlex514ARE05:
dmi.product.family: IdeaPad Flex 5 14ARE05
dmi.product.name: 81X2
dmi.product.sku: LENOVO_MT_81X2_BU_idea_FM_IdeaPad Flex 5 14ARE05
dmi.product.version: IdeaPad Flex 5 14ARE05
dmi.sys.vendor: LENOVO
version.compiz: compiz N/A
version.libdrm2: libdrm2 2.4.101-2
version.libgl1-mesa-dri: libgl1-mesa-dri 20.0.8-0ubuntu1~20.04.1
version.libgl1-mesa-glx: libgl1-mesa-glx N/A
version.xserver-xorg-core: xserver-xorg-core 2:1.20.8-2ubuntu2.2
version.xserver-xorg-input-evdev: xserver-xorg-input-evdev N/A
version.xserver-xorg-video-ati: xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:19.1.0-1
version.xserver-xorg-video-intel: xserver-xorg-video-intel
2:2.99.917+git20200226-1
version.xserver-xorg-video-nouveau: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau 1:1.0.16-1
To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mutter/+bug/1888088/+subscriptions
--
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp