Same issue issue with an OfficeJet 8010 here on a fresh Ubuntu 20.04
install. HPLIP downloaded from hp.com used to work on 16.04 & 18.04
setups with this printer.

No HPLIP installed from hp.com, just Ubuntu 20.04 installation.

I ran the command from post #4, no error. But it still does not work.
Please find attached hp-check log.

These comments from hp-check log are strange for packages from focal repos ?
1/ warning: ubuntu-20.04 version is not supported. Using ubuntu-19.10 versions
dependencies to verify and install...
2/ warning: HPLIP-Installation: Auto installation is not supported for ubuntu
distro  20.04 version
3/ Missing Required Dependencies
-----------------------------
error: 'libcups2' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libdbus-1-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libjpeg-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libcups2-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'cups-bsd' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'cups-client' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libcupsimage2-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libusb-1.0.0-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libusb-0.1-4' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libsane-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libsnmp-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'snmp-mibs-downloader' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'openssl' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'python3-pyqt4' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'gtk2-engines-pixbuf' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'python3-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libtool' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libtool-bin' package is missing/incompatible

Missing Optional Dependencies
-----------------------------
error: 'gtk2-engines-pixbuf' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'xsane' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'python3-dbus.mainloop.qt' package is missing/incompatible

** Attachment added: "hp-check.log"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/1879649/+attachment/5395993/+files/hp-check.log

Packages, which is subscribed to hplip in Ubuntu.

  Since I updated to Ubuntu 20.04 my HP printer doesn't print

Status in HPLIP:
  In Progress
Status in hplip package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in notify-python package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in pillow-python2 package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in python-reportlab package in Ubuntu:

  Hello,

  Since I updated to Ubuntu 20.04, my printer does not print. I have installed
and uninstalled the printer several times and test with different URI adresses
which the PC found the printer.
  I uninstalled and installed again HPLIP but there are some dependencies that
cannot be installed.
  The model of the printer is an HP OfficeJet 9650.
  The script HP-doctor didn't solve the problem. See the attached file for the
output of the script hp-check.

  I look forward to hear from you soon

  For any question, don't hesitate to contact me.

  Kind regards,

  Biel Trobat
  cont...@bieltrobat.me