I have this same issue on my Acer swift3 laptop which doesn't have a
graphics card. I think I have integrated intel graphics. Also I'm using
Ubuntu with the MATE desktop environment.

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-340 in Ubuntu.

  window content doesn't refresh, only if window is moved

Status in compiz package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-340 package in Ubuntu:

  I suppose this is a bug with the nvidia driver, but I'm not sure.
  After the second-to-last routine software update (which I think
  updated the nvidia driver), changing window content is only refreshed
  if the window is moved.

  Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS, kernel 3.2.0-91-generic,
  NVidia driver installed: 340.93-0ubuntu0.0.0.1,
  Thinkpad laptop with nvidia graphics card (see below),
  Window manager: Gnome Classic

  How to reproduce the bug: Log in under Gnome Classic. Open Gnome
  terminal. Execute some command (ls). Open new tab in terminal. Execute
  some other command (ps), just to have different tab contents. Switch
  back and forth between the tabs using the mouse. After some switches,
  neither the tab rider is activated nor the tab content is refreshed
  any longer. Only if you move the window, the tab rider gets activated
  and the tab content is refreshed. The same problem occurs in other
  applications (e.g. in thunderbird when selecting an email --- email
  list entry is not marked and email content is not shown, only if you
  move the window), so it is not application-specific.

  The bug disappears when using the window manager "Gnome Classic (no
  effects)" instead (which is "non-compositing" in contrast to "Gnome
  Classic"). The bug is also present in other window magagers
  ("Ubuntu").

  Side remark: I tried but failed to switch back to an earlier version
  of the nvidia driver (from 340 to 331) using synaptic: When
  deinstalling 340 and installing 331 instead, synaptic complains that
  it depends on 340. So I can only guess that the bug is caused by the
  nvidia driver.

  Any help would be highly appreciated as the bug is really annoying.

  % nvidia-smi
  Tue Oct  6 16:13:30 2015

  | NVIDIA-SMI 340.93     Driver Version: 340.93         |

  |    0            Not Supported

  Package: nvidia-340 340.93-0ubuntu0.0.0.1
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu17.11
  Architecture: amd64