I'm seeing another fun intermittent issue after waking from sleep on my
system. sometimes after resume, the audio is really static-y, until i
turn the volume down one notch and back up again. next time it happens
I'll attach the logs again, just to see if there's anything illuminating
there. it only happens maybe ~5% of the time, so it might be a while
until I can reproduce.

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  pulseaudio has is buggy with hdmi audio and sleep/wake

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  on a fresh Ubuntu 20.04 x64 install, I've noticed some troubling bugs
  with pulseaudio after putting my system to sleep and then waking it
  up. these bugs aren't present on a fresh boot, only after resuming
  from sleep:

  - it forgets which sound output device it's set to, and always reverse to the
motherboard's S/PDIF output.
  - I have two devices connected to my video card, one is a displayport
monitor, and one is a home theater receiver via HDMI. it confuses the two, and
randomly switches which device it thinks is capable of surround sound.
  - it sometimes refuses to switch to the correct audio device, and just resets
any choice back to the internal S/PDIF, until the system is rebooted.

  as you can imagine, this a pretty frustrating state of affairs.

  Package: pulseaudio 1:13.99.1-1ubuntu3.4
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair nvidia_modeset
nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.4
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC1:  tessa      3387 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/pcmC1D7p:   tessa      3387 F...m pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC2:  tessa      3387 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  tessa      3387 F.... pulseaudio
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME