** Tags removed: precise
** Tags added: focal

  Can't turn off 'Airplane Mode' after toggling hardware wifi switch

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:

  Airplane Mode is stuck on 'On' after I turn off + turn on wifi via the
  hardware switch on my laptop (Asus N53SV-S1827V), resulting in having
  no wifi. If I go to 'Network' and turn off Airplane Mode the switch
  does flip visually (though wifi doesn't start connecting), but when I
  reopen the Network window the switch depicts Airplane mode to be on
  again.

  I tried 'sudo rfkill unblock all' but this doesn't solve it. I have to
  restart my laptop after which Airplane Mode is still on, but now I can
  effectively toggle the switch in the Network window. This results in a
  crash of the Network window, but wifi starts to connect again and when
  reopening the Network window it shows that Airplane Mode is off.

  The above behavior doesn't happen when I turn off wifi via the
  software switch, so it must be related to toggling the hardware
  switch.

  Package: network-manager 0.9.4.0-0ubuntu4.2
  ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu17.2
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Fri Apr 26 13:41:32 2013
  IfupdownConfig:
   auto lo
   iface lo inet loopback
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Beta amd64 (20120328)
  IpRoute:
   default via 192.168.1.254 dev eth0  proto static
   169.254.0.0/16 dev eth0  scope link  metric 1000
   192.168.1.0/24 dev eth0  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.1.67  metric 1
  MarkForUpload: True
  NetworkManager.state:
   [main]
   NetworkingEnabled=true
   WirelessEnabled=false
   WWANEnabled=true
   WimaxEnabled=true
  SourcePackage: network-manager
  nmcli-dev:
   DEVICE     TYPE              STATE         DBUS-PATH
   eth0       802-3-ethernet    connected
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/1
   wlan0      802-11-wireless   unavailable
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/0
  nmcli-nm:
   RUNNING         VERSION    STATE           NET-ENABLED   WIFI-HARDWARE
WIFI       WWAN-HARDWARE   WWAN
   running         0.9.4.0    connected       enabled       enabled
disabled   enabled         enabled