While we appreciate this is effectively a functional regression, it is
intended. Exposing firefox's menus to the global menu bar involved a
non-trivial distro patch that was increasingly difficult to maintain
(because it relied on many internal APIs), so it was dropped before
20.04 (see
https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mozillateam/firefox/firefox.focal/revision/1340).

The firefox updates in 16.04 and 18.04 still carry the patch, FWIW.

** Changed in: firefox (Ubuntu)

  global menu bar no longer supported after 20.04 upgrade

Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  1) version: 79.0+build1-0ubuntu0.20.04.1 500
  2) Ubuntu Release : Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS

  3) What I expected to happen:

  In Unity DE. menu bars are integrated with title bar or top panel
  when maximized

  4) What happened instead:

  Menu bar doesn't integrate. Takes too much vertical space. Problematic
  because I have made a jump to wide screens around 2012. I guess
  decision makers at ubuntu still enjoy  4:3 screens and thus don't see
  the value in DEs that optimize vertical space. But it would be really
  nice to have a hand here.

  ----
  The current workaround is to disable the menu bar, which leaves me at the
mercy of the hamburger menu. The hamburger menu is an implant from old Mobile
App Design.  But nowadays even Mobile App UX designers decry the Hamburger menu
and in a desktop it makes little sense. Firefox is a good example because the
menu bar has sections like History which are a lot richer than what's available
to be accessed from the hamburger menu. It's really just not possible to have
as many menu options and categories as a menu bar in a hamburger menu. And
access is less efficient -> more mouse movement -> more mouse clicks.

  So I have to choose between wasting space unnecessarily with a menu
  bar that does not integrate with the top panel OR losing a lot of
  access to options and settings by removing the menu bar and using the
  hamburger menu instead.