** Tags removed: eoan

  Long delays and repeated flashing when docking laptop with multiple
  monitors

Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:

  Running Focal on my ThinkPad T450, but not unique to this release as
  it happened on 19.10 (and probably older releases too).

  Steps to reproduce.

  While running GNOME Shell, attach the laptop to additional external monitors.
  (I'm using a docking station, but equally you can attach them via the video
ports on the laptop itself)

  Expected outcome

  Desktop on 1 monitor goes away.
  Desktop comes back on N monitors.

  Actual outcome

  Laptop display goes black
  Laptop display comes back, moved 50% horizontally
  One external monitor comes on
  Laptop display goes back to normal
  Second external monitor comes on
  All three displays go off again
  Laptop display comes on again alone
  Laptop display goes off again
  laptop display comes on again
  External monitors come back on again
  System is usable.

  The entire process takes twenty seconds.

  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuSudpxVOao

  Package: gnome-shell 3.34.3-1ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Thu Jan 16 10:21:05 2020
  DisplayManager: gdm3
  InstallationMedia: neon userlts "Xenial" - Build amd64 LIVE Binary
20180202-11:07
  RelatedPackageVersions: mutter-common 3.34.3-1ubuntu1
  SourcePackage: gnome-shell
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to focal on 2020-01-08 (7 days ago)