A recent update resolved this issue, but I'm not sure which package
corrected it.  I applied them all in a batch and noticed later that the
backups started working again.

Feel free to close this.

Packages, which is subscribed to deja-dup in Ubuntu.

  Permission Denied when using SMB share as storage location

Status in deja-dup package in Ubuntu:

  1. Ubuntu release

  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      20.04

  2. Package Version

  $ apt-cache policy deja-dup
  deja-dup:
    Installed: 40.7-0ubuntu1
    Candidate: 40.7-0ubuntu1
    Version table:
   *** 40.7-0ubuntu1 500
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates/main amd64
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       40.6-1ubuntu2 500
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/main amd64 Packages

  3.  What I expected to happen

  Configure an SMB share as the network location to save my backups.  I
  am using the same share that works with the Gnome File manager.

  4.  What happens instead:

  I get a permission denied error when trying to use a SMB share as the
  storage location.

  This share is mountable and read/writeable through the same path when
  accessing it with the Gnome File manager.  Its unclear from the error
  what causes the failure or what I should be doing differently. I set
  the path to smb://mycloudex2ultra.local/bkup/, the folder to deja-dup
  and enter the correct username, domain, and password in the pop up
  dialog.

  Running with DEJA_DUP_DEBUG=1 shows the path as

  DUPLICITY: . Args: /usr/bin/duplicity --include=/home/tomg/.cache
  /deja-dup/metadata --exclude=/home/tomg/Downloads
  --exclude=/home/tomg/.local/share/Trash --exclude=/home/tomg/.cache
  /deja-dup --exclude=/home/tomg/.cache --include=/home/tomg
  --exclude=/sys --exclude=/run --exclude=/proc --exclude=/var/tmp
  --exclude=/tmp --exclude=/home/tomg/snap/*/*/.cache
  --exclude=/home/tomg/.var/app/*/cache --exclude=** --dry-run
  --volsize=25 / gio+smb://mycloudex2ultra.local/winston-bkup/deja-dup
  --verbosity=9 --archive-dir=/home/tomg/.cache/deja-dup --tempdir=/tmp
  --log-fd=26

  and reveals this error:

  DUPLICITY: DEBUG 1
  DUPLICITY: . Backtrace of previous error: Traceback (innermost last):
  DUPLICITY: .   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/duplicity/backend.py",
line 376, in inner_retry
  DUPLICITY: .     return fn(self, *args)
  DUPLICITY: .   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/duplicity/backend.py",
line 570, in get
  DUPLICITY: .     self.backend._get(remote_filename, local_path)
  DUPLICITY: .   File
"/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/duplicity/backends/giobackend.py", line 150, in
_get
  DUPLICITY: .     self.__copy_file(source_file, target_file)
  DUPLICITY: .   File
"/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/duplicity/backends/giobackend.py", line 121, in
__copy_file
  DUPLICITY: .     source.copy(target,
  DUPLICITY: .  gi.repository.GLib.GError: g-io-error-quark: Permission denied
(14)
  DUPLICITY: .

  DUPLICITY: WARNING 1
  DUPLICITY: . Attempt 1 failed. Error: Permission denied