Indeed, deleting the ~/snap folder isn't a reasonable use case, it will
break much more than just window tracking (for starters it will remove
your entire chromium profile, including bookmarks and navigation
history, which you most likely don't want).

That said, I can't seem to reproduce the bug. After deleting the ~/snap
folder and restarting chromium, the window is mapped to the launcher
icon as expected.

What is the output of the following command on your system?

    gsettings get org.gnome.shell favorite-apps

** Changed in: chromium-browser (Ubuntu)

** Tags added: snap

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  [snap] Deleting the ~/snaps folder breaks Gnome dash window tracking
  for chromium

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:

  Deleting the ~/snaps folder in ubuntu seems to permanently break gnome
  dash window tracking.

  Steps to reproduce:

  1) Add chromium-browser.desktop to your dash / dock favourites.
  Chromium Windows get attributed to this favourite when created.

  2) Delete the ~/snaps folder, quit all chromium processes and / or
  reboot

  3) The ~/snaps folder gets recreated, but Chromium windows now get
  attributed to a new chromium-browser dash icon, ignoring the favourite
  created in step 1

  I know I know, don't delete the ~/snaps folder then!

  Unfortunately, there are situations when this is beyond my control.
  These desktops are gonna get into the hands of normal users, like my dad and
my colleagues.
  They will delete the folder by accident or because they don't know and don't
care about snaps.
  Deleting it shouldn't permanently break window tracking.

  This is on a fully patched 20.04 system.