Just a heads up.. Noticed this post digging into the same exact syptoms
with a schiit hel on arch linux. (5.8.8 kernel). I was able to resolve
the lack of audio by installing and using pulsemixer. Using pulsemixer
if you hit f3 (cards) and set the audio source from off to digital
stereo duplex it should prevent alsa crashing and actually allow the
audio source to work.

Packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  usb audio: cannot get ctl value: req = 0x81, wValue = 0x0, wIndex =
  0x1400, type = 3

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  I typed in terminal:

      alsamixer

  Then I wanted to change the sound card (I have connected an external
  sound card via USB).

  I pressed F6, selected the external sound card and pressed enter.

  alsamixer crashed and outputed:

      cannot load mixer controls: Broken pipe

  My ALSA information is located at http://www.alsa-
  project.org/db/?f=1871c086b58a2965d18cfb38483794788187edfb