If you want the hdmi-output to be selected automatically after plugging,
you need to manually select it as output once, then pulseaudio will
remember uer's preference. Then unplug and replug the monitor, the
system will automatically switch to hdmi-output.

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  PulseAudio automatically switches from HDMI 2 after display sleep

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  I have an Nvidia based video card that has an HDMI output + a DisplayPort
output.
  DisplayPort output audio is listed as "Digital Stereo (HDMI)" and HDMI output
is listed as "Digital Stereo (HDMI 2)".

  I prefer to use "Digital Stereo (HDMI 2)".
  But after each display sleep (screen lock for example) audio is switched to
built in audio

  Package: pulseaudio 1:13.99.1-1ubuntu3.6
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.8
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CurrentDesktop: XFCE