This bug was fixed in the package gnome-shell-extension-appindicator -
34-1

---------------
gnome-shell-extension-appindicator (34-1) unstable; urgency=medium

  [ Marco Trevisan (Treviño) ]
  * New upstream release
    - appIndicator: Remove the callbackIdle if we destroy while waiting it
    - StatusNotifierWatcher: Remove ProtocolVersion method
    - appIndicator: Ignore further icons creation during an idle
    - README: Remove statement about indicator-multiload not being supported
    - statusNotifierWatcher: Fix RegisterStatusNotifierHost method name and
      returned error
    - interfaces: Sync interfaces XML with upstream ones
    - StatusNotifierItem: Disable Tooltip properties and signals
    - testTool: Add support for secondary indication
    - indicatorStatusIcon: Remove deleted y_fill property on St.Bin
    - testTool: Import the Gtk version 3.0
    - testTool: Use nicer default icons and support random ones from a pool
    - testTool: Replace icons on scroll events
    - testTool: Show a longer label by default
    - testTool: Use a checked menu item to toggle attention
    - testTool: Set the secondary activation to a more complete change
    - testTool: Print the icon to be used on new-icon signal
    - testTool: Explain why we repeat the separators
    - testTool: Don't use escape sequences as we use verbatim strings
    - testTool: Add ability to use a random icon from a custom theme
    - util: Use Shell's param to handle multiple named arguments
    - util: Delete proxyCancellables only if we didn't cancel already
    - appIndicator: Use String.startsWith intead of substr
    - appIndicator: Cleanup the interface info properties map computation
    - util: Use variable keys for object initializer
    - appIndicator: Don't deep unpack changed properties array
    - appIndicator: Use native checks to look for equal emblems
    - appIndicator: Mark a valid cached icon as inUse again
    - appIndicator: Correctly mark cached GIcon's as in use
    - iconCache: Rewrite simplifying the usage for GIcon's only
    - iconCache: Dispose an icon when we remove it
    - iconCache: Add weakClear() method
    - iconCache: Increase the garbage-collector timings
    - appIndicator: Remove deprecate usage of Mainloop
    - appIndicator: Only iterate through the proxy available properties
    - appIndicator: Don't try to check equality on Pixmap variants
      (LP: #1884396)
    - testTool: Add case simulating lots of icon and labe updates
    - util: Try to batch properties updates when they comes close enough
    - appIndicator: Accumulate signals to batch close updates
    - appIndicator: Emit the same signal once on properties updates
    - appIndicator: Improve the warning message on lookup failed
    - dbusMenu: Use proper argument name when parsing error
    - dbusMenu: Stop idle requests if we've been destroyed
    - cleanup: Use Set instead of Arrays when convenient
    - cleanup: Use Map instead of objects for simple associative arrays
    - metadata: Add support for GNOME 3.38
  * debian/changelog:
    - Bump dependency on GNOME Shell << 40~

  [ Fini Jastrow ]
  * appIndicator: Remove unneeded padding
  * appIndicator: Fix 'reduce padding' for some icons

  [ Sergio Costas ]
  * Wait until the desktop ends starting up
  * Wait until Gtk.IconTheme.get_default() works
  * Don't fail if no icon is found (LP: #1849142)
  * Use signal to detect display availability

  [ Tasos Sahanidis ]
  * kstatusnotifierwatcher: Implement ProtocolVersion property

 -- Marco Trevisan (Treviño) <ma...@ubuntu.com>  Sat, 19 Sep 2020
06:47:31 +0200

** Changed in: gnome-shell-extension-appindicator (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-shell-extension-appindicator in
Ubuntu.

  appindicator extension slows down GUI spamming the log with
  "[AppIndicatorSupport-FATAL] unable to lookup icon ..." or "Impossible
  to lookup icon"

Status in gnome-shell-extension-appindicator package in Ubuntu:

  Updated bug #1817073 about this, but it's not really the same since
  this does not crash the shell fully.

  When speaking in discord there is supposed to be an icon change on the
  appindicator and logs spam me with [AppIndicatorSupport-FATAL] unable
  to lookup icon for discord1_40.

  The whole desktop freezes for a moment when talking in discord if the
appindicator package is installed.
  Easily reproduced by joining a voice channel in discord and just doing stuff
in the gnome ui, watching a video or whatever while talking.

  This is pretty bad since it leaves no choice but to uninstall gnome-
  shell-extension-appindicator and loosing that functionality if people
  wants to use discord on ubuntu.

  This is also reported on the extensions github page:
  https://github.com/ubuntu/gnome-shell-extension-appindicator/issues/171
  https://github.com/ubuntu/gnome-shell-extension-appindicator/issues/157

  Someone also made a video on youtube showing the problem:
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABavT7yXlso