I had a version of this bug.

- starting from 18.04 LTS, with all package updates

- software-updater didn't offer 20.04 (surprised me this many months
after 20.04 was released)

- followed https://ubuntu.com/blog/how-to-upgrade-from-ubuntu-18-04-lts-
to-20-04-lts-today

- all went well until process "focal" (a python script) took 90 minutes
of CPU with no progress

- it had two defunct children (which means that the code hadn't reaped
them -- not good)

- I did an strace on focal and it seemed to be doing short write(1)
system calls

- the last thing in the terminal sub-window was processing triggers for
sgml.

I did "killall focal" and the update ground to a halt.

I tried "apt update" and "apt full-upgrade" and got (only) a long long
list of things to autoremove.

I rebooted (it worked) and did an autoremove.

Now I wonder how many other package triggers never ran and how to fix
that.

Fundamentally, I think that the problem flows from this bug.
There are several other reports that might be related:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sgml-base/+bugs?field.tag=apport-package

Packages, which is subscribed to sgml-base in Ubuntu.

  package sgml-base 1.29.1 failed to install/upgrade: triggers looping,
  abandoned

Status in sgml-base package in Ubuntu:

  During the upgrade from ubuntu 18.04 LTS to 20.04 the installation
  crashed because it could not install the package sgml-base. I rebooted
  the computer and got the bug I am reporting.

  I have attached the print of the error.

  ProblemType: Package
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 20.04
  Package: sgml-base 1.29.1
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  Date: Sat May 23 17:29:08 2020
  ErrorMessage: triggers looping, abandoned
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20200203.1)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  Python3Details: /usr/bin/python3.8, Python 3.8.2, python3-minimal,
3.8.2-0ubuntu2
  PythonDetails: /usr/bin/python2.7, Python 2.7.18rc1, python-is-python2,
2.7.17-4
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   dpkg 1.19.7ubuntu3
   apt  2.0.2ubuntu0.1
  SourcePackage: sgml-base
  Title: package sgml-base 1.29.1 failed to install/upgrade: triggers looping,
abandoned
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to focal on 2020-05-23 (0 days ago)