After I upgraded from Eoan to Focal, a strange behavior started with the
desktop icons.

I have a few .txt files in ~/Desktop dir which appear as icons on the
desktop. After some time some of them disappear (not all of them). They
still exist, I can navigate to them using Files and open them in text
editor with no problem, but they are gone from the desktop so I cannot
double-click to open them.

>From 5 files, 1 or 2 normally disappear. I have not yet related this
with anything else (like sleeping / waking for exmaple).

If I invoke Alt-F2 and run "r" for gnome shell to reload, the icons
appear again, for some time.

I'm not sure where to look for logs, etc.

** Affects: gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons (Ubuntu)

Icons randomly disappear from desktop in Focal Gnome
Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons in Ubuntu.