Forgot to mention, menus in gnome-shell itself (top bar, dock, and other
panels) do not suffer from this delay. They close immediately. This
ticket is associated with gnome-shell, but the way the original author
describes it, the shell isn't affected for them either: "This occurs in
GNOME, GNOME applications and also for non-GNOME applications such as
Firefox and Chrome."

  UI experiences delay when menu / tooltip disappears

  Sometimes the system will not respond to mouse clicks or keypresses.
  This appears to happen when I hold the mouse over an item and a pop-up
  tooltip appears, or when I click on a menu.  I believe it happens when
  the tooltip/menu is set to disappear.

  Steps to reproduce are:
   1) Select a menu item
   2) Click outside the menu
   3) The click won't register for around 7 or 8 seconds.  No other keypresses
register immediately but will occur around 7 seconds later.

  This occurs in GNOME, GNOME applications and also for non-GNOME
  applications such as Firefox and Chrome.

  lsb_release -rd:

  Release:      17.04

  apt-cache policy gnome-session:

  gnome-session: